Saturday’s fire was reported around 7:30 am at a home in Queens, a police spokesperson said. Stephanie was found unresponsive and was pronounced dead at a hospital. The girl’s father and 18-year-old brother were treated for burns and smoke inhalation, officials said.
A fire department spokesperson said the blaze was caused by a lithium battery from an electric scooter – one of scores of fires blamed on electric scooter and bike batteries in New York City over the past two years.
A woman and a 5-year-old girl were killed Aug 3 in Harlem by a fire that was blamed on a scooter battery, and a fire linked to an e-scooter killed a 9-year-old boy in Queens in September 2021.